This is a $2,500 non-renewable scholarship for the 2013-2014 academic year for students enrolled or planning to enroll in a degree program in scientific and technical translation or in interpreter training.
- Applicants must be graduate or undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll in a program leading to a degree in scientific and technical translation or in interpretation at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants must be full-time students who have completed at least one year of college or university studies.
- Generally, an applicant should present a minimum GPA of 3.00 overall and a 3.50 in translation- and interpretation-related courses.
- Applicants should have at least one year of study remaining in their program; however, in certain circumstances, one residual semester may be accepted.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Demonstrated achievement in translation and interpretation;
- Academic record;
- Three letters of recommendation by faculty or nonacademic supervisor;
- A 300-500-word essay outlining the applicant's interests and goals as they relate to the field of translation or interpretation.
- Application forms may be obtained by contacting the American Foundation for Translation and Interpretation at ATA (email@example.com)
- Completed applications must be received by AFTI by June 8, 2013.
- A completed application consists of:
a) Application cover sheet;
b) Three letters of recommendation in a sealed envelope with the recommender's signature over the envelope flap;
d) A copy of the applicant's academic record with a copy of the major/minor or other program form, or a departmental statement of admission to the translation or interpretation program.
A national award committee will announce the name of the scholarship award winner by the end of August 2013. The committee's decision is final. Disbursement of the award will occur at the beginning of the Fall Semester 2013.
About JTG, Inc .
Founded in 1995 by ATA Past President Muriel Jérôme-O'Keeffe, JTG, Inc. is a language consultancy that supports homeland security, intelligence, and global business with cross-cultural communications. JTG, Inc. has underwritten the AFTI scholarship since 2001. Visit: www.jtg-inc.com .
Please submit the application to:
Nicholas Hartmann, President
American Foundation for Translation and Interpretation, Inc.
American Translators Association
225 Reinekers Lane, Suite 590
Alexandria, VA 22314